WHAT IS CRAZED STOVE GLASS, AND WHY DOES IT CRAZE?
Crazing refers to small hairline cracks in glazed surfaces and is caused by unburned acidic condensates etching the ceramic glass. This does not mean the glass is faulty, but is caused by the way the glass reacts to the quality of fuel burned or the way you operate your stove.
Fuel with a high sulphur content, such as petcoke (petroleum coke) or manufactured products which contain it, will cause the most damage to the glass. They are to be avoided.
When you turn down your stove for long periods; be it for fuel saving, because the because the heat output of the stove you have chosen is too excessive for the size of room, or to slumber burn overnight, this results in what is called Incomplete Combustion. This can also happen when using a smaller fuel load than is recommended by the manufacturer.
By deliberately starving the fuel of combustion air, the fire chamber and airwash system do not reach the correct operating temperature for efficient combustion – sulphuric acid is created, which can cause damage to the glass and flue liner.
HOW TO PREVENT CRAZING IN STOVE GLASS
Your manufacturer will have provided you with advice about how to best operate your stove, but here are some handy tips to help prevent your stove glass from becoming cloudy and crazing:
• Clean and dry the stove glass prior to using the stove
• Only burn fuel types recommended by the stove manufacturer
• Avoid burning products fuels with high sulphur contents (like Petcoke)
• Avoid slumber burning (after low burning always burn on maximum heat for 30 minutes)
• Always maintain airwash flow (do not fully close the secondary air)
• Make sure fuel is dry, do not burn wet, unseasoned, or processed wood.
• Avoid any ash build up on the lower part of the glass
REPLACEMENT STOVE GLASS
If your stove glass is so cloudy or crazed that it is preventing you from enjoying your stove then perhaps it is time to replace it. Head over to our Homepage and enter your make & model, or the size of the glass you require. We operate a next working day dispatch service on most orders.